The Jazz Company dancers at The Southern Strutt are given the opportunity to train monthly with our Artists in Residence.
Frequently described as one of the the most sought after choreographers in the world, contemporary master teacher. Justin Giles began his training at the Southern Strutt dance studio in South Carolina, under the direction of his mother, Nancy Giles. His attention to detail and sense of musicality have been described as breathtaking and thought
At a young age, Justin was a winner on Star Search as well as Destination Stardom in Hawaii, two of the most prestigious competitions
Soon after, Justin introduced his work with the premier of his own company “SoulEscape” in Dallas. He has toured the US with countless A-List dance conventions including LA Dance Magic and Nuvo and is on guest faculty with Adrenaline Dance Conventions, Hollywood Convention and the popular in10sive workshops. A highly in-demand master teacher, his award-winning choreography can be seen on hundreds of dance studios and professional companies nationwide and abroad.
Yusha Marie Sorzano
Ballet, Modern, Contemporary
Originally from The Republic of Trinidad and Tobago, Ms. Sorzano has been a member of Ailey II, Complexions Contemporary Ballet, The Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, Morphoses, TU Dance and the Los Angeles based BODYTRAFFIC. She has performed in principal roles with The Ailey company and in a variety of concert works from noted choreographers, including Ulysses Dove, Robert Battle, Hofesh Shechter, Mauro Bigonzetti, Judith Jameson and Ron K. Brown. She has worked with recording artists Wynton Marsalis, Sweet Honey in the Rock and Rihanna, and she has been a guest artist on “Dancing with the Stars.” She also starred as the principal dancer in the independent film “You Me and The Circus.” Ms. Sorzano is a faculty member of The Joffrey Jazz Contemporary Program. When not performing, she enjoys teaching master classes nationally and internationally.
Mark travels and teaches both in the United States and internationally. After graduating from the University of New Hampshire, he joined The American Tap Dance Orchestra. Mark has worked with such tap legends as Gregory Hines, Savion Glover, Buster Brown and Sandman Sims. He has performed at Carnegie Hall, Lincoln Center, and with Savion Glover and Friends at Central Park. His stage performance credits include 42nd Street, No No Nanette and Anything Goes. Mark has also appeared in the Movie The Polar Express, and is currently working on a screenplay based on the legend of Don Quixote as well as his own tap company MGTC.”
Strength and Conditioning
- AN ADVOCATE FOR DANCERS STEPPING INTO THE GYM, GETTING STRONGER, RESISTANT TO INJURY AND CHALLENGING THEIR BODIES IN NEW WAYS.
- MY GOAL IS TO TEACH DANCERS THAT STRENGTH TRAINING CAN PREVENT INJURIES AND CHANGE THE WAY THEY MOVE AND HOW THEY FEEL AS PEOPLE.
- A ‘GOOD’ DANCER CAN BECOME A PHENOMENAL ELITE DANCER WHEN THEY ADD STRENGTH TRAINING WITH STRATEGIES THAT ENCOURAGE STABILITY AND MOBILITY
- I BEGAN DANCING AT AGE 12, TRAINED IN LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA UNDER MANY WELL KNOWN CHOREOGRAPHERS.
- I RECEIVED MY BA IN PHYSCHOLOGY FROM THE UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA.
- I BEGAN MY CAREER IN FITNESS IN 1994 AS A GROUP FITNESS INSTRUCTOR.
- IN 2009, I RECEIVED MY PERSONAL TRAINING CERTIFICATE THROUGH ISSA.
- I HAVE ADDED SEVERAL ADDITIONAL CERTIFICATIONS INCLUDING PRECISION NUTRITION CERTIFICATION AND REFLEXIVE PERFORMANCE RESPONSE.
- IN 2011, I ENJOYED PREPARING MY PHYSIQUE FOR SEVERAL FITNESS COMPETITIONS WHICH INCLUDED WINNING A CHAMPIONSHIP IN MY AGE GROUP.
- I AM CURRENTLY A PERSONAL TRAINER AT ATHLETES ARENA SPECIALIZING IN PROVIDING STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING TRAINING.
- I WORK WITH DANCERS OF ALL GENRES AND ALSO WITH PEOPLE WHO JUST WANT TO LOOK, FEEL AND MOVE BETTER.
- CERTIFICATIONS INCLUDE ISSA, PN LEVEL 1, RPR (REFLEXIVE PERFORMANCE RESET), TRX.